Saturday, May 9, 2009
At work this week a co worker was griping about the snow that has continued for nearly a week. Off and on, a little snow shower occurs daily. I reminded her this is spring! This is the arctic!
This got me thinking....you know it's spring in the arctic when (and please feel free to add to the list).
1. the snow buntings and geese return
2. when the dog is off the roof (snow drift steps melt away)
3. there is more daylight than darkness
4. the temperature sans windchill is warmer than -20.
5. the tidal waters seep up on the frozen bay.
6. the pavement appears
7. the potholes appear
8. grading the road doesn't fix the potholes
9. the plow is now used to grade the roads
10. kamiik become impractical in the mud
11. sunglasses a must even on a cloudy day (owie that's bright!)
12 ice crystal replaced with tiny snowflakes
13 the ravens take up their spring dance in the skies.
More ideas of spring things. ... click comments to see what spring means to other northerners!